Monday, November 15, 2010

we should always know that we can do everything.

"I want to be one of those people who have streaks to maintain,
who scorch the ground with their intensity."
-- John Green, Looking For Alaska

I have been criticized before for not being spontaneous enough.  It is imminent -- I think too much about everything.  Thinking has been my downfall in relationships, in swimming, and even sometimes in school, when I take an absurdly long time to finish my BC calculus tests because I am thinking so much about each question.  Is thinking a lot a bad thing for me?

I am compelled to think that sometimes, it really is.  Thinking prevents me from being spontaneous; it makes me think an incredible amount about what I am about to do or say.  I'm not exactly sure why I do this, whether it is just this stupid writer's brain that compels me to make everything I say not embarrassing or stupid, or fear of what people might think of me, or what.  I can't play games like truth or dare or never have I ever, because I can't think of any good questions or dares.  I can be candid with my feelings to people, but only if I feel completely comfortable with them and completely comfortable with what I am going to say first.  I think so much during swim practice that I legitimately have arguments inside my own head about whether I can finish the set or not, and I swear it would just be such a blessing to be able to turn my idiot brain off and DO THE SET.

Is this a character flaw, or a bad habit, or an Achilles heel? Is it something I can change, or that I should fight, or should I accept the fact that I am a born writer and nonverbal communicator and embrace the gifts that this gives me, like my ability to communicate through written word? Sometimes I feel like this writer's brain is a curse, and other times a blessing.  Occasionally, I feel socially and mentally frustrated when I cannot turn my editing mind off, but ultimately, I think it is wonderful that I can write and that this lack of spontaneity has allowed me to hone this ability.

Sometimes I do think it might be the other way around.  Did being a writer make me not spontaneous, or did being not spontaneous make me a writer? But maybe the answer doesn't matter -- maybe it's not something I should be thinking about at all.  And maybe that is a good thing, to accept that as it comes.


IN OTHER NEWS...
go listen to this song! right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment