Tuesday, October 12, 2010

it wasn't about me, it was only a stone in my shoe

I have been thinking about what I can put on here for the past day and I must admit I am perplexed.  Do I use this as a way to write creatively, or do I just post the mundane details of my existence? Will I really care about whether I have forgotten to return college swim coaches' calls for the third day in a row, or should I take advantage of the blank space in which I am writing to fill it with my most precious thoughts?

Hmmmm.

I like to write in circles.  For me, a reference to the beginning of a piece of writing toward its end reminds the reader why they are there.  There is nothing more satisfying than coming to a conclusion and obviously experiencing growth throughout the piece and yet still in some way maintaining something that you had or thought in the beginning.  I like conclusions that are both satisfying and thought-provoking, ones that neatly seal up the conflict but continue to tug at the back of your brain for hours after you read.  I honestly can't get enough extended metaphors or visual interpretations that correspond with ideas, and if this metaphor makes an appearance at the conclusion of the piece -- I can't think of anything better!

I have been noticing that the college essays that I write are not filled with reasons why I am the best candidate for a school; they have been much more like personal, anecdotal nonfiction with fluid description and an abundance of metaphor.  In short, pieces of writing that I actually would consider being proud of.  It's weird, because I thought these essays would be an utter chore -- and, I mean, the ones for the schools that want me to tell them why I am right for their college are an exception -- but I honestly have been really enjoying reflecting on the things I am proud of.  It's like in writing these essays, I am neatly sealing up my high school existence and experiences, coming to these special conclusions about each of them.

I mean, enjoying the college application process? Is that weird? Instead of stretching one essay as thin as I possibly can and trying to make it apply it to as many prompts as I can, I have found that I am taking full advantage of each unique prompt and thinking about exactly which experience I have had that corresponds with it.  And I am continuing to find that I, a sixteen year old girl living a mundane existence in suburban Cincinnati, am so much more applicable in so many more areas than I ever imagined I could be.

Ultimately I think what I am learning is that I have something to say, and that, to me, is both satisfying and thought-provoking.

3 comments:

  1. speaking of mundane existences in southern ohio, read knockemstiff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The prompts asking for you to tell past experiences were always the easier ones for me, too. Everyone likes talking about themselves and whenever I was given a chance to tell a fun story from my childhood, I pounced on it. Unfortunately, the majority of the apps I went through asked me why I am excited to be a future (fill in the name of the mascot). Aren't college apps supposed to tell a lot about the applicant... instead of being full of suck-up bull shit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "personal, anecdotal nonfiction with fluid description and an abundance of metaphor"... I'm liking it, we always end up loosing ourselves in the questions asked of us, but when we ask ourselves these or similar questions we end up with overflowing egos or a chunk of hair in hand.

    ReplyDelete