Wednesday, December 8, 2010

a whole team

Forgot to post again last night... I am a terrible person.  As punishment, I am making myself write twice today even though I have a busy day ahead of me -- but Wednesday nights always get me thinking, so who knows if that will even be difficult.

Yesterday was my first high school swim meet of the season.  We were up against two very small teams, so it wasn't a great opportunity to see the big competition for the year, but I still had fun nonetheless.  I found myself sitting on the bleachers next to a freshman and realizing that I knew everybody on the team because they were all younger than me.  Well, that is not entirely true, seeing as I don't know personally every one of the class of 2014 (and I am still sixteen and therefore half of the junior class is older than me), but in theory, I know everybody.  And in theory, everybody knows me.

It was weird.  Because I remember the relationship I had with my senior class when I was a freshman, and it was certainly less than personal (with the exception of a few kids on my club team).  It was more of an admiration from afar, but I was even a club swimmer, doing well in meets, so I shouldn't have even been flying so far under the radar.  I stayed out of sight and out of mind, basically, save for maybe the few people who traveled to districts and state.

I know I keep saying stuff like this, but I don't want to be that.  I want to know these people.  I want to, for the first time in my life, feel a connection with my high school team that is not only there because there are people from my club team also on the team.  I suppose I can't say that I have been doing anything to change this in years past; as a junior I probably should have stepped up and fostered inter-team bonding, but it's difficult.  I want to feel like a team, a whole team, and judging by the first meet, I think we are on our way to doing that.  I am excited about our agenda (the swimming seniors had a double lunch meeting last Tuesday to plan for the season!) and our leadership, and I am excited to use the fact that I know everybody to help this along.

I love being a senior!

See you tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment